New Year – New Career Goals
As 2019 comes to a close, it is time to look forward to the upcoming year! For many, that means setting a New Year resolution, however research shows that roughly 80% of New Year’s resolutions fail by the end of February. To ensure this isn’t you, come up with a set of measurable goals that you can achieve and that you are determined to meet.
Here are 5 goals for the New Year that will make it your best work year ever:
1. Learn a New Skill: It’s never too late to learn. Keeping up with new technologies, programs or enhancing skills is always good for your career. Set it as one of your work goals for the year and get it done. You won’t regret it. If it can enhance your work in your current job, your company might even be willing to pay for it.
2. Create One New Connection Each Month: There is no downside to increasing the size of your professional network. You probably meet people all the time, but do you take the time to listen, grab their business card, and connect with them? Try to find at least one person per month to add to your LinkedIn connections and watch your network grow!
3. Sign Up To Follow One Industry Relevant Outlet or Blog: Staying up to date with what is going on in your industry is always a plus! There is a world of great information, insider tips, resources and more that will keep you at the top of your game.
4. Clean Out the Clutter! Just like that file cabinet, your email inbox is probably flooded with old, useless emails. But there are also some in there you can’t lose. Organize your email files, sort those emails, and delete what doesn’t need to be there anymore. You’ll feel a little bit lighter every time you log in.
5. Attend Networking Events: Networking events are a great opportunity to meet other professionals in your industry. You get to make new connections as well as stay on top of what’s happening in your field. Put yourself out there at least once per year so you can reap the benefits of these professional gatherings.